Saturday, May 19, 2012

A lot of little things...

I've been trying to catch up on some "obligation" sewing before I embark on a new (bigger!) project. A very nice lady contacted me about making a t shirt quilt for her son who is graduating high school next month. At first, I was going to decline. I know my limits (somewhat) and didn't want to take on this quilt if I didn't have time. But, things opened up a bit and we're in business. Before I get immersed in this quilt, though, I wanted to finish up a few little things.

I started up my vintage sheet bee, Bee Vintage, again. Can't believe it's been a year since we finished our last round. This time around, we're doing two blocks per month, finishing in October. Everyone agreed that they wanted a shorter time frame. Year long commitments are just way too long. To start us out, Sheetal asked for the flying death circle of geese. Have you tried this one yet? You can find the pattern here. I shouldn't have had so much trouble with this block. I've made it before. My first quarter turned out too small (damn you fit to printable area! Always print this with no scaling.) So, I started over. All the while I was piecing the next two quarters, I kept thinking I was doing it backwards. Yes, indeed I was. So my geese circled counter clockwise instead of clockwise.  Fortunately, Sheetal didn't care, and I finished out the block.

Jenny asked for "stacks" any which way we liked. I originally intended to have this with three vertical stacks, but I like it much better with a quarter turn, and horizontal stacks. Hope the gals like these!

In a moment of weakness, I signed up for a swap. This was a siggy square swap. I have a couple dozen signature blocks from other swaps, not really enough to do anything with, so this seemed like a good idea at the time. I needed 57 blocks for this one. We used this tutorial. To speed things up, I used some older Amy Butler charms that I had already cut into quarters (with a few Kaffe thrown in) I also used this tool to make the triangles go a little faster. I've had that ruler forever, haven't used it in years, but it was exactly what I needed.

This really wasn't anything I needed to finish. As I was sifting through my black and white fabric, I found about 1/3 yard of this print. I think I made Katie a skirt out of it a few years ago. Cottony, gauzy ~ perfect for a summer infinity scarf! These are so easy, so quick, and the results are beautiful.

So, that's my little round up. Many more things to chat about. Some interesting things coming up! Talk to you soon!


Sara said...

All the vintage sheet flashy photos are quite lovely;)

Sandie @ crazy'boutquilts said...

I love vintage sheets (and have quite a collection :-o ) Sometime I'd love to join a block bee and use them. Have a happy weekend!