Sunday, May 15, 2011

Big Finish Weekend

Too many WIPs. Too many projects I want to start. I know. You can relate. To reconcile this, I dubbed this weekend: Big Finish Weekend. I had 4 projects in mind to finish before I allowed myself to start something new. Fortunately, rain was in the forecast, so I didn't feel like I was missing out on anything by being in the studio all weekend.

Here's how I did:

My Maple Leaf Quilt. This one was about 2/3 quilted and already bound. Finished off the quilting. Washed and out of the dryer!

Next, Mod Bento Box Quilt:



These blocks were from this swap. The top was pieced. It needed basting, backing, quilting and binding. All complete, except for hand sewing the binding to the back. (I really love a hand stitched binding! Luckily (?) I have about 30 hours of car time coming up in the next month. Stitching binding is one of the few projects I can work on without, well, you know.)

Third was this:


These were my blocks from SewFun2 when I had my month last October. I asked for wonky houses. For as little as it is, about 36x48, it gave me the most trouble. I guess it was all that wonkiness. This quilt needed backing, basting, quilting and binding. I'm happy to report that the binding was finished earlier today, as Katie and I watched 127 Hours.

Finally, this monster:


This is a vintage sheet quilt based on this pattern from Kaffe Fassett's Simple Shapes, Spectacular Quilts. The original pattern had strange (to me) dimensions of 69x102. I decided to add 2 panels, for a total of 5, to make a king sized quilt. I had the majority of the top pieced. I had to finish the final border (64  6" squares), plus all the rest. Not a completed quilt, yet, but I did piece the batting, backing and binding. I usually prefer to spray baste, but I may pin baste this one. I'll probably just do straight line quilting, 6" apart. Since I'm doing it on my Elna, free motion just isn't going to fit. So, hopefully another finish by the end of May!

Overall, I'm really happy with my weekend. Looking at the calendar for the next 3-4 months, I'm not sure when I'll have such luxury of time. Especially when I start those new projects!

12 comments:

Kathy said...

love the sheet quilt and how the colors are all blendy

beth said...

WOW! What a great weekend you had! AND....I LOVE all your quilts!

Linda said...

Great weekend worth of work! Although you are making me look like a slacker :-)

bebo821 said...

These are so pretty! I have a king quilt top too that I need to quilt. I'm not worried whether it will fit in my machine, just can't figure out how I will keep ahold of it. haha So it sits in the UFO bin for now.

Heather said...

Amber, it's a workout, isn't it, to quilt a king!

Thanks ladies for your kind comments!

Unknown said...

Wow you had a very productive weekend! I especially love the soon-to-be king size quilt. :)

Cathy said...

OH MY goodness!!!! You were so busy! Love the bento box quilt and the sheet quilt especially!

Jane said...

Okay, you can rest now. Beautiful quilts!

Linda said...

I am seriously impressed with how much you accomplished in such a short time. All lovely quilts but my favorites are the Bento quilt and the Wonky Houses. Wonderful!

Steph Jacobson said...

Beautiful! I'm never brave enough to mix and match sheets my vintage sheets, but every time I see a quilt like this I think it is so beautiful. I need to be a little braver and just jump in and start cutting and sewing!

Lori said...

Impressive work weekend. That is what I need to do. I have been doing it a bit but really need to plow through my unfinished stuff.

Photo Editing said...

Positive site, where did u come up with the information on this posting?I have read a few of the articles on your website now, and I really like your style.
Thanks a million and please keep up the effective work. photo cutout