Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Iron Boredom

After yesterday's tutorial, which featured a shot of my totally gross ironing board cover, I was a bit mortified. To rectify that, I made this:
Super easy. Take off the old cover, remove the drawstring that pulls it taut (save that, to reuse). Use the old cover as a template for the new cover. Be sure to have the right side of your fabric up AND the right side of you old cover up. (I had planned on using my super awesome Denyse Schmidt a la JoAnns pink dot print. I cut the whole thing out, then realized my "template" was upside down. Crap. This floral was the only piece in my stash long enough to fit. BTW, I needed close to two yards.) Anyway, pin the two together, then rough cut around the template, adding about 1 - 1 1/2 inches all the way around. If you're lazy efficient like me, you'll use the selvedge edge for one side. Press under a 1/4", then another 1/2" to inch. Sew all the way around, close to the pressed edge, leaving about a 1/2 inch opening. I back stitched at the beginning and end. Using a safety pin, feed the draw string through your casing, fit it back on your board, cinch it up and you're done.
Oh, and the punny title is because although necessary, this project was bor-ing!


namoo said...

Your iron looks so happy now. :) I was just thinking about making a new iron board cover for myself too. This is fantastic!

Skooks said...

I keep meaning to make a new ironing board cover, but it just doesn't sound fun. LOL. Eventually . . .

Yours looks great!