Sunday, April 10, 2011

Cherri House, Melissa House, Head Start and Me

About a month ago, I got an email to the Baltimore Modern Quilt Guild, of which I am the founder (go me!) from the ever so modern, and completely cute, Cherri House. She had put out a call to quilters to make quilts for the South East Early Head Start program (SEEHS) here in Baltimore. Her daughter, Melissa, is finishing nursing school here at John Hopkin's, and as part of her clinicals, she worked with SEEHS. Cherri is in Texas, Melissa is here, but only for a few more weeks, until she graduates, so logistics were getting tricky. That's where I and BMQG come in. I/we became the local contact for Cherri's quilt drive. After a healthy dose of quilts (40 of them!) from Maria O'Haver and the Faithful Circle Quilters, plus generous donations from quilters around the country, Melissa and I headed to SEEHS to meet with director Gayne Barlow-Kemper and take an inventory of the quilts donated to date. I was excited to see so many beautiful quilts. When all were tallied, there were over 60 quilts! Plenty for the little ones at the center now, plus more for future cuties!

Melissa and me and a big 'ole pile of quilts!
Melissa and Gayne, and a quilt Gayne chose for an upcoming fundraiser.
Delicious!

More quilts, both from BMQG, DC MQG and more of Cherri's followers are on the way! There will always be a need, so if you have a quilt you'd like to donate, please let me know.

I can't wait until the "reveal" in May, where the children will receive their quilts. Stay tuned!

2 comments:

9patchnurse said...

So wonderful! The quilts look great.

Unknown said...

I love this. I'd heard about the project on Twitter and Cherry House's blog. So good to see the pictures!