That's what I'm calling this one, because it was very frustrating to make. I'm pretty good with directions, but this had me "unsewing" at every step. Plus, when I was finished, and tried it on, it was a mile too long (didn't even consider the length while I was sewing and ripping and sewing again.) My lovely model is 5'6". Me, barely 5'2". You do the math.
Sunday, May 30, 2010
Well, for their new baby, due in June. Very gender neutral, as they're not tellin'! The sashing and backing is made from white sheeting. I remember buying that fabric (before I knew any better) and thinking oh, cool, 400 thread count. 400 thread count is lovely on sheets, but when you're hand sewing the binding, not so much. I was grateful it was only a baby quilt. I hope they like it.
Saturday, May 29, 2010
where you're so excited because you've made all the blocks, got your sashing done and have the quilt top pieced...
only to realize that you still have to add borders, make the binding, pin the sandwich, quilt the dang thing, add the binding and hand sew the back of the binding. I'm so there.
Friday, May 28, 2010
My morning routine goes something like this: wake up, feed the cats, make the coffee, then head to the computer to do important work, like browse quilting blogs. One of the common things I found on these blogs were virtual quilting bees. I didn't really know what they were, but I knew I wanted to be in one. I admit, I was jealous. And a little peeved that no one had invited me to be in one (granted, I rarely blog, tweet or face book, so the virtual quilting world at large basically doesn't know I exist. I'm working on it.) Anyhow, I was sad and beeless. But, one morning, while I was doing important work, I checked in with Elizabeth at Oh Fransson! (when I say it like that, it makes you think I know her, right? Sadly, not yet) and found out about a Vintage Sheet Swap hosted by the super cute and amazingly organized Katie (who I know maybe a little bit - we've exchanged emails! And I'm moving much closer to her, so we'll be great friends soon.) Now, I had nary a vintage sheet to my name, but I signed on anyway. The great thing about collecting vintage sheets, you can get a pretty decent collection going in about a week with very little cash, especially if you go to Salvation Army on Wednesday, which is 1/2 price day around here. Right around that time it hit me, I can start a Vintage Sheet Quilting Bee. With Katie's blessing, I went ahead and posted about it. That was about a month ago. Today, I'm happy to say, we have enough gals participating to have two Bee Vintage bees! I'm super excited to have started this, and can't wait to get to know all of my new friends better. So now, I have a bee, I have online quilty friends, still don't know Elizabeth, but Virtual Quilting World - I have arrived!
Friday, May 7, 2010
I sewed up some pouches for Gerri and Andrea for Mother's Day using this tutorial for the pouch from Skip to my Lou http://www.skiptomylou.org/2010/04/27/pleated-pouch-tutorial/ and another for the tissue pouch, but I can't remember where I saw it. So sorry. The tissue pouches sew up in a snap. The zipper pouches took a bit more work. I'm zipper challenged. But, over all, I think they came out really cute and I may have to whip up a set for me (I'm a mother, I count!)
Happy Mother's Day, everyone!